Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Don't Make Him Pry Your Fingers Open

Are you stubborn or sad when God
asks you to give up something?
    "As Jesus started on his way, a man ran up to him and fell on his knees before him. “Good teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
   “Why do you call me good?” Jesus answered. “No one is good—except God alone.  You know the commandments: ‘You shall not murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not give false testimony, you shall not defraud, honor your father and mother."
   “Teacher,” he declared, “all these I have kept since I was a boy.”
   Jesus looked at him and loved him. “One thing you lack,” he said. “Go, sell everything you have and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me.”
   At this the man’s face fell. He went away sad, because he had great wealth.  Mark 10:17-22

As I was reading through the book of Mark this morning, I was stopped at this passage. While I know that it doesn't have anything to do with losing weight, here's what I noticed that spoke to me about applying it to healthy eating.

  • This young man ran up to Jesus and fell on his knees before him. He was sincere in his desire to know what he should do to receive what Jesus had offered (eternal life, but for me, I substituted "a healthy body" and I wondered just how sincere I am about giving up my unhealthy eating habits.).
  • Jesus quoted the standard rules. (I thought about all the weight loss "rules" that are stuck up in my head and how I struggle to "keep" them.)
  • Jesus looked at him and loved him. He didn't chastise him, belittle him, or get disgusted with him. He loved him - and he loves me, even if I don't "get it" sometimes.
  • Jesus then hit on the one thing that meant more to this young man than anything else - his wealth - and asked him to give it up. That got me. When I read it, I wondered what I would do if Jesus said, "Jan, get rid of all junk food and stop going to fast food restaurants."
  • At this the man's face fell. He went away sad. Is that how I would react? Do I love sweets and chips and fried foods so much that I would walk away sad, rather than readily give them up?
The truth is, it's pointless to keep asking God to help us with eating healthy and then be stubborn or sad when he asks us to give up something that is holding us back.  We become resentful about the things we can't have."  

Prayer:
Lord, please help me change that. Help me to remember that if you ask me to give up something, it's because you know that it's not good for me or that it has too strong a hold on me.  Help me to be willing and even eager to happily give up things that are roadblocks to a healthier me.  Amen


“Hold everything in your hands lightly, otherwise it hurts when God pries your fingers open.” ~Corrie ten Boom


-------------------------------------
Copyright 2015. More of Him Less of Me. All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. I hadn't thought about this perspective of that passage. Thanks for sharing, Jan. It opens up a whole new thought process about "what shall I eat."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This passage always gets to me, Joy. I wonder how the guy could have chosen money over eternal life. But then, I also wonder how I can choose junk food over a healthy body. Hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Jan! Jesus must live here right on our street!! I was praying about eating right during the night last night - taking care of "His" body (mine) and He said the same thing "Get rid of the foods (from your house) that are not good for you." Thanks for sharing this passage today.

    ReplyDelete