Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Who's that Knocking at my Door?

"Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will go in and eat with him, and he with me."  Revelation 3:20

God wants to help us with every part of our lives. He stands, knocking at our heart's door. We want his help, but often we will not open the door and invite him into the middle of our mess.

Why?

Maybe because we know that what we're planning to do in the next few minutes is not such a good choice.   Maybe we're too proud to humble ourselves and ask for His help.  Maybe it's because we feel like we got ourselves into this mess, so He must expect us to get ourselves out of it.

Nothing could be further from the truth. Jesus stands at the door and knocks. he wants to come in and sit down with you. He wants to help with whatever you're struggling with, but he will not kick the door in and enter uninvited.  He leaves the decision up to us. Will we open the door or refuse his help?

I often apply this verse to my eating.  If I intentionally invite His presence at my mealtimes, I tend to make way better food choices. I am less likely to reach for a jumbo portion or go back for seconds.  On the plus side, it makes mealtime much more pleasant when I know I am in the company of the Lord.

Of course, this not only applies to inviting him in to help you with your eating, but with any issue that has a hold on you. Jesus came to break the chains that bind us and set us free. Invite him in.



He would never come and knock at our door unless He wanted to come in, and if He does not always come in, that is our fault. 
~ Ambrose


-------------------------------------
Copyright 2015. More of Him Less of Me. All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Once again you've given new perspective to a familiar verse. I'm going to invite the Lord in to eat with me again and to be with me throughout the day. I know He is always there, but it DOES make a difference to invite Him. Thanks Jan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Joy. You're right, He is always there, but so often we forget that. It's when we are aware of His presence, that we feel strengthened to make the right choices and enlivened to enjoy our time with Him.

    ReplyDelete