Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Learning the Hard Way

I have to confess, God had to show me first hand how true yesterday's post is.

I stayed up way too late last night, got hungry around 11:30 and made a really dumb choice. French toast with butter and brown sugar. 3 pieces.  I'm a diabetic, I know better than this!  Had a really bad night. Restless sleep, jittery nerves and horrible dreams.  This morning my blood sugar was way up.  Duh!!

This is NOT being a good steward of the body God gave me.  I was about to start denigrating myself, when He reminded me of yesterday's post. (f you haven't read it yet, go ahead. I'll wait.) Words like stupid, dumb, idiotic were right on the tip of my tongue, but He stopped me short.

How wonderful to remember that His mercy - His compassion is new each morning.  He wasn't waiting for me to wake up so He could berate me.  Instead, He reminded me of how much He loves me. How much He understands that I am human and that messing up is a natural inclination. He reminded me that one bad choice does not separate me from Him.

I confessed, asked for forgiveness and wisdom for today's choices. No guilt, just a lesson learned.

His graciousness is not a green light for continued bad choices, but He's not holding it over me. He set me back on my feet and said, "Carry on, my daughter."

"Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective."  James 5:16

So, my friends, there it is. If you think I've got this thing all figured out, if you think I never fail -  think again. A while back I read a review on Amazon of my original book, More of Him Less of Me. Here's what they said...
I bought this book expecting to read about a success story. This is not my idea of success. This lady is still fat. I have lost 30 lbs, but still weigh 240. Should I write a book? No where on the web can you find before and after pictures of Jan. When I saw her head shot, I couldn't believe it. But too late, I had already spent my money. I bought the book at Amazon, but since I only paid about one cent for the book, I will not send it back, but am very disappointed with it. I think of success as losing all the weight needed to lose and not gaining it back. I understand why Gwen was against the publishing of this book. This lady can't really tell anyone anything about permanent weight loss. The title of this book should be "How I Lost a Few Pounds and Hit a Plateau" or "How I Remained Lost in the Desert". When she loses all the weight she wants to lose and keeps it off, then she should write a book. I'm looking for a book from someone who's lost all their weight and will tell the real ups and down's of weigh down and not those contrived stories on Gwen's website or the few you see on TV or in some magazines. I was also shocked to see that Gwen's husband is rather pudgy. Please don't leave comments saying how mean I am. This is my opinion.
I was pretty devastated when I read this. First of all, the book was not a "how to lose weight" book. It was a journal of my experiences with God as I went through the Weigh Down Diet.  By the time I read this review, I had gained some of the weight back and felt defeated - no, devastated.

Several times, since then, I have wanted to start up a blog again to encourage others in their weight loss and their Christian walk, but felt unqualified.  As I write blog posts, it helps me as much as it does others. No, I have not reached my optimal weight, but I don't define success that way. My idea of success is never giving up, falling down and getting back up again, trusting God to help you get there eventually.  So, up front I want you all to know that I'm right there with you.  I struggle to make the right choices, too. We're in this together and I refuse to let that keep me from encouraging others.

PS - Feel free to pray for me anytime you want!

-------------------------------------
Copyright 2015. More of Him Less of Me. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for being "real", for being transparent! We all need this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness Jan, those are some pretty tough words to see about yourself. Please know that you are a gifted writer and encourager. It is really wonderful that you are able to share your real life struggles and that you are honest to say you do not have it all together. Thank you for that. Keep on keeping on. You inspire me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to read. The funny thing is that the review was written 5 years after I wrote the book. I didn't gain all my weight back, but I had gained some. We all know how many times we lose and gain it back. Yet, I let it stop me from doing what I really wanted to do. Recently God allowed me to get the rights to the book back, which freed me up to start posting some of the material online again and then I started getting email from people who were enjoying the book that I wrote almost 17 years ago. I knew it was time to get back to encouraging others while walking the journey myself. My goal, now, is not to be skinny, it's to eat healthy. I'm sure some weight will come off, but I'm more interested in controlling my diabetes with diet and exercise. Thank you for your kind words of encouragement. I'm so glad you're enjoying the blog.

      Delete