Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Stop beating yourself up!

Did you blow it yesterday?  Not just with your diet, but in any area where you know you made a choice that did not honor God?  Does that bring you down? Make you feel guilty? Like you will never get it right?  Yes?  You're not alone.

In Lamentations, the writer is bemoaning (whining) about how hard His life is and how it's mostly God's fault.  He's nursing and rehearsing his "afflictions" until bitterness and gall rise up in him.  In chapter 3, verses 19 & 20, he says...
"I remember my affliction and my wandering, the bitterness and the gall. I well remember them, and my soul is downcast within me."
He says that as he remembers all his failings and his "hard luck" that his soul is downcast within him. 

Isn't that just how it goes when we focus on what's wrong with our lives and our past failures?  Even if our most recent failure is fairly minor, immediately some of us slide right into, "I'll never get this right. God must be so disappointed in me. I may as well give up."

Don't do that!

Instead, do what the writer of Lamentations does in verses 21-23...
"Yet this I call to mind
    and therefore I have hope:

Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed,
    for his compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
    great is your faithfulness".
He reminds himself of one very important truth. That God's great love and compassion for us never fail. They are new every morning. As we come to God with our weaknesses and failures, He doesn't turn us away. He doesn't withdraw His love. Instead, He extends his compassion and forgiveness to us as we confess our sin & weakness and repent (turn away) from them.

God has a "RESTART" button that's available to us at any time, so if you blew it yesterday, today or in the past hour. You don't have to wait until tomorrow morning to get things right with Him, because his mercies and compassion were new THIS morning. Take it to Him now, and hit that restart button.

Repeat after me...

I'm not giving up-
I'm starting over!



-------------------------------------
Copyright 2015. More of Him Less of Me. All rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. It is all about our attitude. Once again, thank you Jan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this reminder. This is one of my favorite passages. I just need to remember God's love and compassion in an everyday way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We all need reminders. That's why God gave us each other! :)

      Delete