Thursday, June 8, 2017

Healthy Choices - it's not an all or nothing thing!


Happy Thursday!

I'm writing this post from one of my favorite places - a coffee shop. For some reason I am more focused with all the noise and hub-bub around me, especially when I'm sipping on coffee in one form or another.

My friend, Leola.
I've got my Kindle and bluetooth keyboard-ready to crank out a blog post and then maybe work on some fiction. The only thing that makes this setup better is that I'm sharing the table with a writing friend. I'm a happy camper!

We all know that a healthy lifestyle is all about choices. Today, my healthy choice was ordering a light frappuccino (110 calories) instead of a regular frappuccino (240 calories). 

Sometimes we think that being healthy is an all-or-nothing endeavor. Not so. We don't have to cut out everything we love. We can still enjoy our favorites if we will look for ways to order (or cook) lighter version of them.

I'm a big fan of the 80-20 rule. Eat healthy 80% of the time and enjoy some of my not-so-healthy favorites (in moderation) the other 20% of the time. On those 20% days, I might throw in another 1000 steps or a longer workout to compensate, but that's a small price to pay for a little indulgence, because total denial of all the things I love will only lead to binging. (I know me!)

We have to cut ourselves some slack and throw perfectionism out the window. Same goes for feeding ourselves spiritually.

Many of us think that if we can't sit down and read the Bible and pray for an hour every day, we are a failure. Not so. It would be nice if we had the time to do that, but few of us do. Sometimes we have to choose a "lighter" version of our quiet time with God. That might mean a 15 minute devotional in the morning, then listening to our favorite Christian music on the way to work and finding a place to spend a few minutes in prayer on our lunch break. Remember...even snack-sized portions of God's word pack a powerful punch and help us stay spiritually fit.

How about you? Are you an all-or-nothing kind of person, or do you think that consistent good choices add up to success?

-------------------------------------

Copyright 2017. More of Him Less of Me. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise noted, all images are used by permission from rgbstock.com or pixabay.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment