Tuesday, June 6, 2017

How often can you hit the restart button?

As often as you need to!

It's been 8 months since my last post. (Why do I feel like I'm in a confessional booth?)

The last 2 months have been crazy. My husband fell off a roof at work. He broke his pelvis in 3 places, fractured 2 ribs and did some damage to his spine. He had surgery the next day. They put two huge screws in his pelvis and the doctor ordered absolutely no weight bearing for 3 months. That means he can't stand up at all and can't use his feet or legs to adjust himself in bed or in his wheelchair. He has to use only upper body strength to get around and transfer himself to the bed and other places. He spent a little over a week in the hospital and another couple of weeks or so in a skilled nursing center before coming home.

I spent every moment of that time with him. I would leave the house at around 6:30 am and not come home until about 8:00 pm. During this time, I lost about 6 pounds (hospital food is gross). He's been home now for about a month and guess what...I found those 6 pounds! They were hidden in doughnuts, ice cream, cakes, potato chips and the food we consumed eating out. Oh, and I found a bunch of them in movie popcorn. I've been doing everything I can to make life easier for him and keeping him busy. In the meantime, I haven't been taking care of me.I also haven't been writing much.

Yesterday during our morning devotions, God dropped some nuggets of promise into my heart. I didn't fully understand them, but I jotted them down in my journal. It wasn't an hour later when I received a friend request on Facebook from someone I didn't know. I sent them a message to ask why they sent me a friend request and got this response back...
"This weekend I pulled out my collection of weight loss books to tackle, once again, my weight issues. I have your book, More of Him Less of Me. I bought it years ago and it's been very helpful and inspiring. That's why I looked you up on Facebook, to see if you post things related to your book and to see if you have any other books."
Of course I accepted the friend request right away.

This dear lady brought tears to my eyes - both tears of joy and tears of repentance. Several times I have started and stopped this blog and several times when I haven't posted for a really long time, God has prompted people to search for me online.

My books, More of Him Less of Me and Desert Morsels came out nearly 20 years ago and I am always overwhelmed to know that they are still blessing people today. I know that God wants me to continue encouraging folks to reach for more of Him, yet I let myself slip away from doing what I know He has called me to do.

He's calling me back. This is undoubtedly because when I am posting here, I am being encouraged myself to reach for my health goals and to draw closer to Him.  All this to say - I'm back!

I'm praying that God gives me the words to encourage you as we reach for More of Him together.

By the way - Lee goes back to the surgeon in 3 weeks. His 3 months in the wheelchair will be up and he should be able to start rehab to get him back on his feet again. Keep us in prayer, please. Thanks!


-------------------------------------

Copyright 2017. More of Him Less of Me. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise noted, all images are used by permission from rgbstock.com or pixabay.com.

2 comments:

  1. That is a great story that make me search myself and seek Gods plan for me. I have to remind myself that God is good all the time even when I can't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Roy for your words of encouragement. They mean more to me than you know.

    ReplyDelete