Friday, June 30, 2017

She Was Only Mostly Dead

I find inspiration for my spiritual life in some odd places. For instance, I saw this fiction writing prompt yesterday...

"Hold on, you died."
"Yeah, well, it didn't stick."

...and where did my mind go?

I immediately thought of my flesh, my old self - that part of me that still wants instant gratification, that part that still craves things that are not good for me (and this goes way beyond food)

When I consider these verses...

Galatians 5:24
"Now those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires."

Romans 6:6
"knowing this, that our old self was crucified with Him, in order that our body of sin might be done away with, so that we would no longer be slaves to sin;"

Ephesians 4:22
"that, in reference to your former manner of life, you lay aside the old self, which is being corrupted in accordance with the lusts of deceit,"
Colossians 3:5-10
"Therefore consider the members of your earthly body as dead to immorality, impurity, passion, evil desire, and greed, which amounts to idolatry."
...I understand that I am to crucify my flesh and live in the spirit, but no matter how many times I nail that old self to the cross, she keeps jumping off  and runs right back to me demanding her own way.

Of course, I don't have to give into that resurrected tyrant. I can immediately squelch her and choose to walk in the freedom that Christ provides for me, and that is what I choose to do, no matter how many times I have to kill her off!

How about you - do you have that killer instinct?
 

-------------------------------------

Copyright 2017. More of Him Less of Me. All rights reserved.
Unless otherwise noted, all images are used by permission from rgbstock.com or pixabay.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment